Tuesday 18 March 2008 | |

Design your dream home

When I was "young", and I am still young. I used to love taking out my math exercise book and drew my very own dream home.

Being 8 and having not know any of the architecture rules at all, I explored creativity that defies the laws of physics. (the upper floor was 2x bigger than than living room cause I always wanted a bigger bedroom)

even today I still crave to draw my dream home and hope so badly that it will come true.

but that's another story.

I was surfing the net and bumped into this very cool open source freeware. (a free software that anyone can take and resell it or do whatever they want with the software)
it lets you design your dream home on the computer in 3d.
it's easy to use and admittedly fun as well


There are some flaws in the interface I would say. for one it lacks power to adjust your views in the 3d window and you can't edit your objects in the 3d window.
Also, the end result, isn't all that beautiful and atmospheric but it's still great for simple drafting.


Here's basically what I did. I started imagining me staying high in the alps, like Adolf Hitler.

Since I'm probably going to be single and unwanted my whole life I'll just have 1 room along with a living room. I don't need a kitchen because bachelors never cooks.

I Always liked houses with big windows. To sit and enjoy the mountain view of the alps., and what's a dream house without a big double sided door right? unfortunately they only have a garage door model available,


I put my furnitures in. it's as easy as clicking and dragging your mouse.
here's what I have
Living room
I have a conner sofa overlooking the big French window, with a fireplace by the side. beside it is a bookshelf for me to read and a piano to replace the kitchen that I considered to built. there's an aquarium behind the sofa, my workstation

Bedroom
increased the size, a queen sized bed overlooking a big window. with an arm chair in front of it, a bookshelf and a TV beside it.

I chose the floor pattern I wanted. and viewed in "3d visit" mode


after 25 mins I was glad and awed at the results. only then I realized I forgotten to place the bathroom.













eteks sweet home 3d is a great and simple software that anyone can learn.
It doesn't require a light speed computer and it also runs on your web browser (Internet explorer or firefox) that means you don't have to download it to use it.
It's not very shining and polishing but it does the execution right. that is the "user experience"
and since that these people are so kind enough to make it open sourced it's always worth a try.
Get it here
http://sweethome3d.sourceforge.net/



Think Different!
Jaziel
_____________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment